If you’re looking for the most interesting list of animal facts, you’re at the right place! Here are 300 of the best fun & random facts about animals!
- Gorillas can catch human colds and other illnesses.
- A newborn Chinese water deer is so small it can almost be held in the palm of the hand.
- A lion in the wild usually makes no more than twenty kills a year.
- The female lion does ninety percent of the hunting.
- The only dog that doesn’t have a pink tongue is the chow.
- Turtles, water snakes, crocodiles, alligators, dolphins, whales, and other water going creatures will drown if kept underwater too long.
- Almost half the pigs in the world are kept by farmers in China.
- On average, dogs have better eyesight than humans, although not as colourful.
- Deer have no gall bladders.
- In Alaska it is illegal to whisper in someone’s ear while they’re moose hunting.
- The bat is the only mammal that can fly.
- The leg bones of a bat are so thin that no bat can walk.
- Some male songbirds sing more than 2000 times each day.
- The only mammals to undergo menopause are elephants, humpback whales and human females.
- Blue-eyed lemurs are one of two (non-human) primates to have truly blue eyes.
- A tarantula spider can survive for more than two years without food.
- For every human in the world there are one million ants.
- Cows can sleep standing up, but they can only dream lying down.
- The sentence “The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog.” uses every letter of the alphabet.
- The average fox weighs 14 pounds.
- The scientific name of the red fox is Vulpes vulpes.
- Alligators can live up to 100 years.
- A single elephant tooth can weigh as much as 9 pounds.
- A housefly hums in the key of F.
- During World War II, Americans tried to train bats to drop bombs.
- Canis lupus lupus is the scientific name for a grey wolf.
- To escape the grip of a crocodile’s jaw, push your thumb into its eyeballs-it will let you go instantly.
- It is much easier for dogs to learn spoken commands if they are given in conjunction with hand signals or gestures.
- Even a small amount of alcohol placed on a scorpion will make it go crazy and sting itself to death!
- Male rabbits are called “bucks, ” females are “does.”
- The flamingo can only eat when its head is upside down.
- Animals generate 30 times more waste than humans which is 1.4 billion tons every year.
- Ants never sleep. Also they don’t have lungs.
- Just one cow gives off enough harmful methane gas in a single day to fill around 400 litre bottles.
- Apple and pear seeds contain arsenic, which may be deadly to dogs.
- Cows have four stomachs.
- An anteater is nearly 6 feet long, yet its mouth is only an inch wide.
- A herd of sixty cows is capable of producing a ton of milk in less than a day.
- A grasshopper can leap 20 times the length of its own body.
- At birth, baby kangaroos are only about an inch long – no bigger than a large water bug or a queen bee.
- The smell of a skunk can be detected by a human a mile away.